How to improve Mental Math?
Mental Math is a skill set that people develop over a while to calculate simple things or basic calculations without using any calculator or the need to write it down. People use this skill set in various competitive exams or even in daily lives. Mental Math does not require any special training or proper guidance but some simple strategies or remembering basic mathematical additions, tables, or factors that will save time and improve mental sharpness and ability to solve questions or equations.
Basic questions in daily lives like, “which deal is better?” or “How much change should I get back in return?” or “How much tax will be levied on this product?” all these questions can be easily answered if you are well versed with Mental math.
Mental Math helps students in their educational studies or in any competitive exams they are preparing for. As these exams need a lot of speed and students are required to be on their toes, they need to be accurate with their calculations and in such scenarios. Mental math plays a vital role and students do not need to calculate everything or write down anything. Mental Math can be slightly different from the ways or techniques taught in schools or colleges and students can develop this skillset easily.
Following are some simple steps that can help to improve Mental math:
To play with numbers–
People often find it difficult to add or multiply numbers with big denominations and get confused and use calculators or write it down. A simple way is to ease such calculations is to break down the big numbers, for example, if you want to add 1192+730, then the easier way is to add 1200+730= 1930. Afterward, you can take away the additional 8 and the total addition is 1922.
The same technique can be used for multiplication also, for example, if you want to multiply 39×6, then one can directly multiply 40×6=240 and deduct 6 from it to get the correct answer 234.
Some division trick to remember-
Following tricks can help the students to simplify divisions and identify by which numbers these can be divisible:
- If the last digit of any number is an even number (0,2,4,6,8) then it can be easily divided by 2. For example, 36, 40, 568, 1962, all these numbers are divisible by 2.
- If the addition of all the digits of any number is a multiple of 3 then that number is divisible by 3. For instance, 17, 42, 276, 1275, all these numbers are divisible by 3.
- If the last two digits of any number are divisible by 4 like (148, 768, 1688, 5020) then that whole number is surely divisible by 4.
- If the last digit of any number is 0 or 5 then that number is easily divisible by 5. For instance, 60, 85, 390, 765, all these numbers are easily divisible by 5.
- If any number that is divisible by both 2 and 3, then that number is surely divisible by 6 also. For example, 96, 408, 672, 4032, all these numbers are divisible by 2 and 3 so they are divisible by 6 also.
- To check if any number is divisible by 7 or not, one can just take the last digit of that number double that digit and subtract it from the remaining number and if the remaining number is divisible by 7 then that number is divisible by 7.
- If the last three digits of any number are divisible by 8 like (160, 784, 1696, 4120, 10,240) then that whole number is divisible by 8.
- If the addition of all the digits of any number is a multiple of 9 then that number is divisible by 9. For instance, 252, 477, 972, 5058 all these numbers are divisible by 9.
Simplify the numbers into percentages:
As mentioned above, simple percentage calculations can help a lot in daily life questions or any academic examinations to easily calculate. If one wants to calculate the tax to be levied on a certain product or any student wants to calculate some percentages then these tricks can help them calculate easily and eventually help them to improve Mental math skills. Break down the bigger numbers into smaller calculations like, if one wants to calculate 25% of 120 then calculate 10% first which is 12. Double this 12 and the remaining 5% is half of 12 so 24+6=30 is 25% of 120.
All these simple techniques can help anyone to improve their mental