General Knowledge & Current Affairs
November 2022 - 7th to 13th
- Assembly bypoll results: BJP bags 4 out of 7 seats; TRS, Shiv Sena, RJD get one each
- Education Ministry to celebrate Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas in schools, colleges on Nov 15, the birth anniversary of Birsa Munda (15 November 1875 – 9 June 1900)
- Assam, Meghalaya to work jointly to transform Umiam lake: Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- SC upholds 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Sections in admissions and govt jobs in 3:2 verdict
- Indian Air Force begins online registration process for induction of Agniveervayu
- MoS Rajiv Chandrashekhar releases 2 books on PM Modi in Dubai: “Modi@20: Dreams Meet Delivery” and “Heartfelt: The Legacy of Faith”
- Indo-German Week of the Young Researchers 2022 being held from Nov 7 to 10
- President presents National Florence Nightingale Awards 2021 to nursing professionals
- National Cancer Awareness Day observed on Nov 7, birth anniversary of Nobel-prize-winning scientist Madame Curie
- IAF Chief holds talks with French Air Force Chief Gen Stephane Mille in New Delhi
- UK court approves extradition of arms dealer Sanjay Bhandari to India
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath unveils statue of former PM Chandra Shekhar in Ballia
- Education not business to earn profit, fees shall always be affordable: SC says while upholding the AP HC order quashing state govt.’s decision to enhance the tuition fee in medical colleges by more than 7 times to Rs 24 lakh per annum
- PM unveils logo, theme website of India’s G20 presidency beginning from Dec 1
- COP27 (Conference of the Parties): India joins five-nation Mangrove Alliance for Climate (MAC) in Egypt
- Air force chiefs of India and France fly as part of Ex Garuda VII in Jodhpur, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari & General Stéphane Mille
- Indian Navy participates Malabar Naval Exercise in Japan
- Centre grants 265 Diplomate of National Board postgraduate medical seats to J&K
- Dr Subhash Babu becomes first Indian scientist awarded Bailey K. Ashford Medal in US
- 19 Indian universities among top 200 in QS Asia Universities Ranking 2023; IIT Bombay best at 40th
- Private channels to have 30-min slot for ‘national & public interest’ programmes daily
- Statehood day of Uttarakhand celebrated on Nov 9; state carved out of UP in 2000
- EAM S. Jaishankar holds talks with Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov in Moscow
- EAM Jaishankar holds bilateral talks with Belarusian counterpart Vladimir Makei in Delhi
- Union Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat releases Dynamic Ground Water Resource Assessment Report
- Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launches Transport 4 All Challenge Stage-2 and Citizen Perception Survey 2022
- Atal Innovation Mission launches women centric challenges under ANIC (Atal New India Challenge) program
- UN Climate Change Conference COP27 opens in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt with key aim of ensuring full implementation of Paris Agreement
- India votes in favour Russia’s UN resolution on combating Nazism & neo-Nazism
- International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict observed on November 6
- Last eight years had been hotter than any year prior to 2015: World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- Tanzania: Passenger plane crashes into Lake Victoria, 19 killed 24 survived
- Twitter handles engaging in impersonation without clearly specifying parody will be suspended: Elon Musk
- UN General Assembly designates Nov 18 as World Day for prevention of child sexual abuse
- CDRI (Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure) announces Infrastructure Resilience Accelerator Fund at COP27 being held at Sharm El-Sheikh in Egypt
- Russia says withdrawing from Ukraine’s city of Kherson and nearby areas
- International Week of Science and Peace being observed from Nov 9 to 14
- Govt. allows export of sugar upto 60 Lakh Metric Tonnes during sugar season 2022-23
- Tirupati’s Lord Venkateswara temple declares net worth of over Rs 2.5 lakh crore
- Reliance Industries Ltd India’s best employer, in top 20 worldwide: Forbes
- Renewable energy ministry to continue Bio Energy Programme till 2025-26
- Nitin Gadkari inaugurates and lays foundation stone of 8 National Highway projects worth Rs 4054 crore in Jabalpur, MP
- Govt declares computer systems linked to census management as “protected” for being critical information infrastructure
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman approves Sovereign Green Bonds framework to attract investment in environmentally sustainable & climate-suitable projects
- Govt to exit Axis Bank with 1.55% stake sale, expects to garner Rs 4,000 cr
- Centre allows trade settlement for export promotion schemes in Indian rupee
- National Payments Corporation introduces BHIM App open-source license model
- Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) acquires 49.38% stake in Indian Oiltanking for Rs 1,050 cr
The Democrats fared better than expected in America’s midterm elections. The Republicans were on course to capture the House of Representatives, but with just a small majority. It was not clear which party will control the Senate.
Ukraine is deploying its first NASAMS and Aspide air-defence systems. These will be used to shoot down Russian missiles and drones, which have been targeting Ukraine’s civilian power infrastructure.
Rishi Sunak, Britain’s prime minister, faces a winter of discontent. Tax rises and spending cuts are expected. Adding to the gloom, nurses voted to strike. The walkout will affect around half of the country’s hospitals, though emergency care will continue.
President Daniel Ortega cemented de facto one-party rule in Nicaragua. His ruling Sandinista National Liberation Front won all 153 municipalities in a sham election, after serious opposition parties were banned and hundreds of dissidents were locked up.
Uganda will shut schools before the end of term in an effort to contain an outbreak of Ebola, a virus that is often lethal if not treated quickly. Authorities have confirmed 136 cases and 53 deaths.
The UN’s annual summit on climate change got under way in Sharm el-Sheikh, a resort town in Egypt. Delegates flew in to COP27 to discuss what have been termed as reparations to poor countries for the damage caused by greenhouse gas emissions from rich ones.
As protests continued in Iran, the commander of the country’s ground forces said that “rioters” would be dealt with if Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Islamic Republic’s supreme leader, ordered the army to crack down.
Benjamin Netanyahu, whose Likud party won the most seats in the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, in a recent election set about forming a coalition government. A bloc of extreme right-wingers is intent on joining it. Liberal voices urged centrist parties to keep out the far right by holding their noses and joining Netanyahu in a more moderate coalition.
- TIMOR LESTE
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has agreed in principle to admit East Timor, officially known as Timor Leste, as the group’s 11th member. The East Timorese voted for independence from a brutal occupation by neighbouring Indonesia in 1999. Last country to join ASEAN was Cambodia in 1999.
- T20 World Cup: Pakistan enter semifinals by defeating Bangladesh by five wickets in Adelaide
- T20 World Cup: India enter semifinals by defeating Zimbabwe by 71 runs in Melbourne
- Mumbai (146/7 in 19.3 overs) win Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy tournament, beat Himachal Pradesh (143/8 in 20 overs) in final at Kolkata
- Pramod Bhagat, Manisha Ramadass bag gold at BWF Para Badminton World Championships in Tokyo
- Denmark’s Holger Rune wins men’s singles title at Paris Masters tennis
- Indian mixed doubles pair of G. Sathiyan and Manika Batra loses in final of World Table Tennis Contender in Nova Gorica (Slovenia)
- ICC T20 World Cup: Pakistan (153/3 in 19.1) beat NZ (152/4 in 20) in semifinal in Sydney