June 2022 - 27th to 30th
- Maharashtra: SC asks Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) govt not to disqualify rebel Shiv Sena MLAs till July 11
- PM Modi meets President of Argentina Alberto Fernandez in Munich
- Noted Malayalam lyricist, author and journalist, Chowalloor Krishnankutty dies at 86
- Ramdarash Mishra gets Saraswati Samman for his Hindi poetry collection ‘Mein to Yahan Hun’; award given by KK Birla Foundation
- PM Modi holds bilateral talks with President of UAE Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan at Abu Dhabi
- In first Punjab budget, AAP govt announces 300 units of free electricity to every household every month from July
- Govt launches e-learning portal ‘Dak Karmayogi’ to enhance competency of Dak Sevaks and dept employees
- 3 ONGC employees among 4 dead in Pawan Hans helicopter crash in Arabian Sea
- DRDO, Indian Army successfully test ingeniously-developed anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra: Aurangabad renamed as Sambhajinagar; Osmanabad as Dharashiv
- Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha flags off 1st batch of pilgrims for annual Amarnath Yatra from Jammu; to conclude on August 11
- Bihar: Opposition RJD becomes largest party with 80 MLAs in 243-seat Assembly after 4 out of 5 MLAs of AIMIM (All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen) join the party
- Telangana CM K Chandrashekar Rao inaugurates T-Hub 2.0, the world’s largest innovation campus in Hyderabad
- National Statistics Day observed on June 29; is the birth anniversary of Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis
- Busan University of Foreign Studies (BUFS) of South Korea establishes an India Centre for the promotion of India-focused activities in the University
- G7 Summit in Germany: India, 12 other countries sign “2022 Resilient Democracies Statement” to protect civil society, freedom of speech
- G7 Summit in Germany: India, 12 other countries sign statement to ‘Accelerate Clean and Just Transition towards Climate Neutrality’
- Gujarat: Indian Coast Guard commissions Advanced Light Helicopter MK III squadron at Porbandar
- Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda launches 2nd phase of the Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) Programme in New Delhi
- Russia defaults on foreign-currency sovereign debt for 1st time since 1918 as western sanctions had shut down payment routes to overseas creditors
- Saudi Arabia confers Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa with King Abdulaziz Medal
- Iran launches a solid-fuelled rocket Zuljanah into space
- Micro-, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSME) Day observed on June 27
- G7 proposes $600-bn global infra plan called ‘Partnership for Global Infrastructure and Investment’ to rival China
- 2022 UN Ocean Conference being organised at Lisbon, Portugal from June 27 to July 1; Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh leading the Indian delegation
- At least 50 people found dead in an abandoned truck in San Antonio (US) which is 250 kms away from US-Mexico border and is known as a major transit route for people smugglers
- NATO member Turkey agrees to support Sweden and Finland’s membership of the alliance
- Bankrupt Sri Lanka opens oil market to foreign firms
- Colombia: At least 51 dead in fire during prison riot in Tulua city
- International Day of the Tropics celebrated on June 29
- Rajasthan becomes 3rd state after Jharkhand and Andhra Pradesh to foray into uranium mining; issues a letter of intent (LoI) to Uranium Corporation of India
- Govt appoints Indian Revenue Services officer Nitin Gupta new CBDT chairman
- Former BHEL Chairman V. Krishnamurthy dies at 91
- National Highways Excellence Awards-2021 given away in nine categories by Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi
- Gig economy workers will triple to 2.35 crore by 2030: Niti Aayog report titled ‘India’s Booming Gig and Platform Economy: Perspectives and Recommendations on Future of Work’
- A gig worker as a person who engages in income-earning activities outside of a traditional employer-employee relationship, as well as in the informal sector
- National Insurance Awareness Day observed on June 28
- Industrialist Pallonji Mistry, the owner of Shapoorji Pallonji Group, dies at 93 in Mumbai
- Govt. deregulates sale of domestically produced crude oil; condition to sell only to govt. and its PSUs waived off
- Union Cabinet approves computerisation of Primary Agriculture Credit Societies (PACS) with an overall budget outlay of 2516 crore rupees
- GST Council meeting held in Chandigarh–12% GST (0% earlier) levied on hotel rooms below Rs 1,000 per day, 5% GST (0% earlier) on hospital rooms above Rs 5,000
- Covid-19: DCGI approves India’s first indigenously developed mRNA vaccine
- Covid-19: DCGI (Drugs Controller General of India) approves India’s first indigenously developed mRNA vaccine GEMCOVAC-19 manufactured by Gennova Biopharmaceuticals
- Sandeep Kumar Gupta appointed new chairman and managing director of GAIL
- FSSAI mandates logo on vegan food items; lists regulations vegan foods have to comply with
- Govt to set up control rooms to enforce single-use plastic ban from July 1: Environment, Forests and Climate Change Minister Bhupender Yadav
- Centre plans to create 75 textile hubs like Tamil Nadu’s Tiruppur: Union Minister Piyush Goyal
- Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics Corp and India’s Tata Motors form strategic partnership to design, develop and make semiconductor solutions
- UNITED STATES
More than 50 people died after being left in an abandoned lorry in San Antonio, Texas, some 250 km from USA’s border with Mexico. The route is popular with people smugglers.
- SRI LANKA
Sri Lanka said it would close schools in urban areas until July 10th and stop supplying private vehicles with fuel to address an acute shortage. The country ran out of foreign currency and defaulted on its external debt in May.
A fire during a prison riot in southwest Colombia killed 49 prisoners in Tuluá city. The country’s prisons are overcrowded, as are those in much of Latin America.
At least 23 people were killed in a stampede during an attempt by around 2,000 migrants to cross a fence from Morocco into Melilla, a Spanish enclave on the African coast.
Sudan shelled Ethiopian military positions in al-Fashaga, a disputed territory on the border, days after militants backed by Ethiopia captured and murdered seven Sudanese soldiers.
President Xi Jinping of China travelled to Hong Kong for the anniversary of its handover from British rule in 1997. It was his first trip outside the mainland since the start of the pandemic.
- UNITED KINGDOM
Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, named October 19th 2023 as the date for a second referendum on independence from United Kingdom. Scots rejected independence in 2014 by 55% to 45%.
Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos replaced Rodrigo Duterte as the president of the Philippines. Son of a former dictator, Marcos was elected in May, along with Sara Duterte, the outgoing President’s daughter, who is now vice president.
Russian missiles hit a shopping centre in Kremenchuk, a city in central Ukraine. At least 18 people have been confirmed killed.
Finland and Sweden were formally invited to join NATO Summit held in Madrid, Spain. Turkey, which had been blocking their membership bids, backed down after both countries promised tougher controls on anti-Turkish Kurdish separatists living in Finland and Sweden.
- US athlete Sydney McLaughlin sets new world record in women’s 400m hurdles at 51.41 seconds
- Former hockey player Varinder Singh dies at 75 in Jalandhar; was member of India’s only World Cup title victory at Kuala Lumpur in 1975