June 2022 -1st to 5th
- Himachal Pradesh: PM participates in ‘Garib Kalyan Sammelan’ in Shimla
- IMD raises 2022 monsoon forecast to 103% of LPA on likely La Nina effect
- India sends one more consignment of 40,000 metric tonnes of diesel to Sri Lanka
- Monkeypox: Health ministry issues advisory for international passengers
- J&K: National Panthers Party Chief Bhim Singh dies in Jammu at 81
- Playback singer Krishnakumar Kunnath, popularly known as KK, dies in Kolkata at 53
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu visits Gabon capital Libreville
- CM Nitish Kumar agrees to socio-economic survey of all castes, communities in Bihar
- Two-day National Education Ministers’ Conference begins in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Asia University Rankings 2022 by Times Higher Education (THE): 4 Indian institutions in top 100, IISC, Bengaluru ranked highest at 42nd
- Orders of constitutional courts would prevail over statutory tribunals: SC
- Indian projects compliant with Indus Water Treaty provisions: India tells Pakistan at the Permanent Indus Commission (PIC) meeting held in Delhi
- Mitali Express connecting New Jalpaiguri in India and Dhaka flagged off
- CM Arvind Kejriwal invited to attend the World Cities Summit in Singapore to present the “Delhi Model”
- Indian film-maker Gitanjali Rao to be honoured at Locarno Film Festival with ‘Locarno Kids Award la Mobiliare’
- National parks, wildlife sanctuaries must have ESZ (Eco Sensitive Zone) of 1 km from boundary: SC
- eSanjeevani integrated with Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission of National Health Authority
- 41 candidates declared elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha; election for remaining 16 seats to be held on June 10
- Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Dhami wins Assembly bypoll from Champawat seat
- PM attends Ground Breaking Ceremony @3.0 of the UP Investors Summit at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan, Lucknow
- Russia’s Gazprom says will halt gas supplies to Netherlands from May 31 for refusal to pay in rubles
- World No-Tobacco Day observed on May 31; theme: ‘Tobacco: Threat to our environment’
- EU leaders agree on partial embargo on Russian oil amid Ukraine war; imports delivered by pipeline exempted
- Russia’s Gazprom to halt gas supplies to companies of Denmark, Germany for not making payments in rubles
- US sending medium-range rocket systems to Ukraine, announces Biden admin
- Germany to send anti-aircraft missiles, radar systems to Ukraine
- Mexico: 10 dead, 20 missing as Hurricane Agatha hits state of Oaxaca
- Brazil: Death toll from heavy rains in Pernambuco state rises to 100
- Global Day of Parents observed on June 1
- World Milk Day observed on June 1
- Stockholm+50 conference being held to mark the 50 years of the 1972’s first UN conference on human environment
- Singer Jennifer Lopez awarded Generation Award at MTV Movie & TV Awards
- Instagram expands Reels duration from 60 to 90 seconds
- Indian economy grew 8.7% in 2021-22: National Statistics Office
- India’s fiscal deficit improves to 6.7% in FY22 on higher tax mop up
- India’s annual per capita income at constant prices remains below the pre-COVID level at Rs 91,481 in 2021-22
- Govt releases Rs 86,912 cr to states, clears entire GST compensation dues
- India’s domestic crude oil production slips to 28-year low of 28.4 million tonnes (MT) in 2021-22
- Govt. raises premium for its flagship insurance schemes — Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- Defence Ministry inks Rs 2,971-cr contract with Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) to procure ASTRA Mk-I missile system
- India’s core sector output expands at six-month high of 8.4% in April
- TechEagle drone delivers mail in Gujarat under a pilot project in tie up with India Post
- Former SBI executive Natarajan Sundar joins NARCL (National Assets Reconstruction Company Ltd) as MD & CEO
- Cabinet allows procurement by cooperatives through GeM (Government e-Marketplace) portal
- Country’s foreign exchange reserves increased by $3.854 billion to $601.363 billion in the week ended May 27
- RBI launches annual survey on foreign liabilities, assets of mutual funds, AMCs
- Govt ratifies 8.1% EPF interest rate for 2021-22, lowest since 1977-78, when it was 8%
- In a first, IIM-Ahmedabad brings out agriculture land price index; according to IIM-A, the index will be a reliable source in benchmarking land prices in rural and semi-urban areas and help in signalling converting agricultural land into real estate
Russian forces captured parts of Sievierodonetsk, a town in Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region. Some Ukrainian defenders were holding on, but many of the 10,000 thought to have been stationed there retreated. Russian troops have been advancing slowly in the east of the country, assisted by heavy artillery.
America said it would send more weapons to Ukraine, including long-range rocket launchers that will help the country’s defenders shoot back at the Russian artillery pounding their positions in the east. The Pentagon is supplying the new kit on condition that it not be used to strike targets in Russia.
The European Union agreed to ban most imports of Russian oil. However, the ban will not cover piped oil, an exemption sought by the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia, which rely heavily on pipeline supplies, and it will be phased in. At first it will block around 65% of total Russian oil exports to Europe; by the end of the year, it will block 90%.
The M23 rebel group, which has long lurked in northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, clashed with the army near the city of Goma. Congo’s government accused Rwanda’s president, Paul Kagame, of inciting the violence. Congo has been trying to build new roads and trade links with east Africa, which the mayhem threatens.
Around a hundred people, mostly informal goldminers, were killed in clashes in the northwestern desert of Chad, close to the border with Libya. The violence began as “a mundane dispute between two individuals”, said the country’s defence minister.
Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital, started enforcing a ban on motorcycle taxis. The governor says they endanger road users and enable crime. For many locals, they are a cheap and effective way to beat the city’s awful traffic.
A leaked report soon to be issued by the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN nuclear watchdog, said that unexplained nuclear material had been found at three undeclared sites in Iran, and that Iran had “not provided explanations that are technically credible”.
Shanghai eased covid related restrictions, allowing most people to move freely around the city. China’s financial hub, home to 25m people, had been locked down for over two months. Restrictions were also eased in capital Beijing. Both cities have seen a decline in infections recently.
Populists triumphed in the first round of Colombia’s presidential election. Gustavo Petro, a left-wing ex-guerrilla, won 40% of the vote. Rodolfo Hernández, an ex-mayor came second. A runoff will be held on June 19th.
At least 106 people were killed in northeast Brazil when heavy rains swept through the region, causing floods and landslides. It was the fourth big flood in the country in five months.
- ISSF World Cup 2022 in Baku: Indian women’s shooting team of Elavenil Valarivan, Shreya Agarwal and Ramita bags gold in the 10m air rifle women’s team event
- South Korea defeat Malaysia 2-1 in final to win men’s Asia Cup Hockey tournament in Jakarta: India gets bronze
- World Bicycle Day celebrated on June 3