January 2020 -1st to 7th
1. Indore tops national cleanliness rankings for first two quarters
- The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has announced the results of the 1st and 2nd quarters of the Swachh Survekshan 2020.
- Indore has topped the cleanliness charts for two consecutive quarters among cities with over 10 lakh population while Kolkata was the worst performer. Jamshedpur has topped the cleanliness charts for two consecutive quarters among cities with 1 lakh to 10 lakh population.
- The rankings were conducted in a league format for the first time and were split into three quarters (April to June, July to September and October to December 2019) and different categories based on the population of the city.
- The rankings were based on collection, transportation, processing and disposal of waste.
- Some key results of the Swachh Survekshan 2020:
- Top three cities with over 10 lakh population in 1st quarter (April to June):
- Indore (Madhya Pradesh)
- Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh)
- Surat (Gujarat)
- Top three cities with over 10 lakh population in 2nd quarter (July to September):
- Indore (Madhya Pradesh)
- Rajkot (Gujarat)
- Navi Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Top two cities with 1 lakh to 10 lakh population in 1st quarter (April to June):
- Jamshedpur (Jharkhand)
- New Delhi
- Top Two cities with 1 lakh to 10 lakh population in 2nd quarter (July to September):
- Jamshedpur (Jharkhand)
- Chandrapur (Maharashtra)
- Among the Cantonment Boards, the rankings in 1st quarter (April to June) were as follows:
- St.Thomas Mount Cantonment (Tamil Nadu)
- Jhansi Cantonment (Uttar Pradesh)
- Delhi Cantonment (Delhi)
- Among the Cantonment Boards, the rankings in 2nd quarter (July to September) were as follows:
- Delhi Cantonment Board (Delhi)
- Jhansi Cantonment Board (Uttar Pradesh)
- Jalandhar Cantonment Board (Punjab)
- Top three cities with over 10 lakh population in 1st quarter (April to June):
- Secunderabad Cantonment Board in Hyderabad is the worst performer among other cantonment boards.
- Ministers of State (Independent Charge) of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri
2. NITI Aayog releases SDG India Index and Dashboard 2019
- NITI Aayog has released the 2nd edition of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index. According to the SDG India Index, India’s composite score has improved from 57 in 2018 to 60 in 2019.
- India is the first country in the world with a government-led, sub-national measure of progress on Sustainable Development Goals.
- The SDG India Index 2019 tracks progress of all States and UTs on 100 indicators drawn from the MoSPI’s National Indicator Framework (NIF). The SDG India Index has been developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), United Nations in India, and Global Green Growth Institute.
- The Index spans 16 out of 17 SDGs with a qualitative assessment on Goal 17. This marks an improvement over the 2018 Index, which covered only 13 goals.
- A composite score has been computed in the range of 0100 for each State/UT based on its aggregate performance across 16 SDGs. It indicates the average performance of every State/UT towards achieving 16 SDGs and their respective targets. If a State/UT achieves a score of 100, it signifies it has achieved the 2030 national targets.
- Classification criteria based on SDG India Indexscore is as follows:
- Aspirant: having score in the range of 049.
- Performer: having score in the range of 5064.
- Front Runner: having score in the range of 6599.
- Achiever: having score in the range of 100.
- Some key results of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index:
- Niti Aayog has given India an overall score of 60 points, driven mostly by progress in clean energy and sanitation (88); peace, justice and strong institutions (72); and affordable and clean energy (70).
- Kerala achieved the first rank in the composite SDG Index with a score of 70, followed by Himachal Pradesh at 69.
- Bihar is at the bottom of Niti Aayog’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index.
- The biggest improvers since 2018 are UP (which has moved from the 29th position to the 23rd), Orissa (23rd to 15th), and Sikkim (15th to 7th).
- All three states that were in the ‘Aspirant’ category (with score/s in the range of 049): Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Assam, have graduated to the ‘Performer’ category (5064).
Five states: Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Goa, and Sikkim moved up from the
- ‘Performer’ category to the ‘Front Runner’ category (6599).
- The maximum gains have been made in Goal 6 i.e. clean water and sanitation, Goal 9 i.e. industry, innovation, and infrastructure; and Goal 7 i.e. affordable and clean energy.
- CEO of NITI Aayog: Amitabh Kant.
3. Bengaluru will host the 107th edition of the Indian Science Congress
- Bengaluru will host the 107th edition of the Indian Science Congress. It will be the ninth time the city will host the annual convention. University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS), Bengaluru will host the event.
- The congress has chosen ‘science and technology: rural development’ as its theme for the 107th edition. A Farmer’s Science Congress will take part in it for the first time, hence providing a platform for innovative farmers.
- There will also be a ‘Women’s Science Congress’, ‘Children’s Science Congress’, ‘Science Communicator’s Meet’, and ‘Science Exhibition: Pride of India’. The convention will see the participation of over 15,000 delegates, including 8,000 students from across the country and 74 scientists from abroad.
4. Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System launched by EC
- The Election Commission of India has launched a Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTMS). The system enables the applicants to track the status of the applications for the party registration.
- The Commission has also amended the guidelines for registration which came into force from 1st January 2020. Under the new guidelines, the applicants applying for the party registration from 1st of January 2020 will be able to track the progress of applications and will get the status through SMS and e-mail.
- An association seeking registration has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days from the date of its formation. This should be done as per the guidelines prescribed by the Commission in exercise of the powers conferred by Article 324 of the Constitution of India and Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- The status can be tracked through the Commission’s portal “pprtms.eci”.
- The registration of political parties is governed by the provisions of Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
5. ISRO will set up launch port for small satellite launch vehicles
- The ISRO Chairman announced that the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will establish a 2nd launch port in Thoothukodi district in Tamil Nadu.
- This launch port will be used exclusively to launch small satellite launch vehicles. The launch port will be established in 2300 acres. He announced that the process of Astronaut selection is over for India’s 1st manned mission to outer space i.e. “Gaganyaan” to be launched by 2022.
- The ISRO Chairman also announced that the Government has approved the Chandrayaan3 mission to the moon, comprising of a lander and a rover.
- Chairman of ISRO: K.Sivan; Headquarters: Bengaluru; Established: 1969.
6. Kerala became 1st State to pass resolution against CAA
- Kerala became the 1st state in the country to pass a resolution against the Citizenship Amendment Act.
- The resolution was moved by Kerala’s Chief Minister Pinarayee Vijayan and was seconded by the Leader of Opposition Ramesh Chennithala.
- Several other chief ministers of West Bengal, Punjab, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Delhi have also announced for not implementing CAA in their states.
- CM of Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan; Governor of Kerala: Arif Mohammed Khan.
7. Railways renames RPF as Indian Railway Protection Force Service
- The Indian Railways has renamed its security force RPF (Railway Protection Force) as Indian Railway Protection Force Service.
- The ministry has accorded organised Group A status to RPF and renamed it.
- The Railway Protection Force (RPF) is a security force, enacted by the Indian Parliament for “the better protection and security of railway property”.
- The force is under the authority of the Indian Ministry of Railways.
- Union Railway Minister: Piyush Goyal.
8. MEA sets up new emerging and strategic technologies (NEST)
- The External affairs ministry announced the setting up of new emerging and strategic technologies (NEST) division.
- The division will work to increase investment coordination among the states of the country and also with the foreign countries.
- NEST will act as the nodal division within the ministry for issues pertaining to new and emerging technologies.
- It will help in collaboration with foreign partners in the field of 5G and artificial intelligence.
- The division will also hold responsibility for matters that involve negotiations with multilateral fora like the United Nations, G20.
- This will help to safeguard India’s interests as such forums govern the rules of access to such technologies.
- Union Minister of External Affairs: Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.
9. 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, inaugurating the 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019, in New Delhi.
- The 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship organized this year by CRPF is being attended by 34 participating teams consisting of 1207 sportspersons from across the country, with a total of 15 Trophies and 214 Medals, including one Medal for the Best Gymnast, in contention.
- Earlier, this cluster has been organized by Sashtra Seema Bal (SSB) in 2016, West Bengal Police in 2017 and Odisha Police in 2018.
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs: Nityanand Rai.
10. India gives $75 million LoC to Cuba for solar parks
- India has extended a line of credit (LoC) of USD 75 million (over Rs 500 crore) to Cuba.
- The line of credit is being provided to finance solar parks in Cuba.
- The line of credit is as per agreement signed between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) and Banco Exterior De Cuba for installation of 75 MW Photovoltaic Solar Parks in the Republic of Cuba.
- Banco Exterior De Cuba is a nominated agency of the Government of Cuba.
- Capital of Cuba: Havana; President of cuba: Miguel Diaz-Canel.
11. Union Minister of Commerce and Industries inaugurates NSE Knowledge Hub
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industries inaugurated the National Stock Exchange (NSE) Knowledge Hub in New Delhi.
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) Knowledge Hub is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered learning ecosystem that will assist the banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) sector.
- The Knowledge Hub will fill in these gaps and help the financial sector to move into the future.
- It will enhance skills and help academic institutions in preparing future-ready talent for the financial service industry.
- It is also available on mobile and attempts to bring together world-class content and learners through this state- of- the- art and future-ready platform.
- This industry-driven learning eco-system will help India in building next-generation skills and capabilities in the BFSI sector.
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industries: Piyush Goyal.
1. Nepal launches ‘Visit Nepal Year 2020’ campaign
- President of Nepal launched the “Visit Nepal Year 2020” during the ceremony held at historic Dasaratha Rangashala in Kathmandu. Mythical creature Yeti has been selected as mascot of the campaign.
- The ambitious campaign is aimed to promote tourism in Nepal and to attract 2 million tourists in 2020. The Visit Nepal 2020 campaign was launched in all the seven provinces of Nepal.
- Nepal is one of the World’s fascinating tourist destination and the government has a goal of making tourism one of the key pillars of the Nepali economy.
- Prime Minister of Nepal: K P Sharma Oli; Capital: Kathmandu.
- President of Nepal: Bidhya Devi Bhandari; Currency of Nepal: Nepalese rupee.
2. Palau becomes 1st nation to ban ‘reef toxic’ sun cream
- The Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country to ban sun cream which is harmful to corals and sea life. The ban prohibits sun cream containing any of the 10 ingredients which includes oxybenzone and octinoxate, that absorbs ultraviolet light.
- A lagoon in Palau’s Rock Islands is a Unesco World Heritage site. Palau is renowned for its marine life and is regarded as one of the world’s best diving destinations.
President of Palau: Tommy Remengesau; Capital: Ngerulmud; Currency: US Dollar.
3. Umaro Cissoko Embalo wins Guinea-Bissau presidential election
- Umaro Cissoko Embalo has won the Guinea-Bissau’s presidential election. According to the National Electoral Commission of Guinea-Bissau, Umaro won the presidential election with 53.55% of votes. He will replace the incumbent President Jose Mario Vaz.
- Capital of Guinea-Bissau: Bissau; Currency: Eco.Sudan’s first-ever satellite for conducting research in military, economic and space technology has been launched by China.
4. Iran’s Gen Qassem Soleimani killed in US airstrike on Baghdad airport
- Iran’s top commander General Qassim Soleimani has been killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad.
- Soleimani, who led a special forces unit of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards, has been a key figure of Iranian and the Middle East politics.
- His death exacerbated already-high tensions between Iran and the United States and triggered concerns of retaliation from Iranian forces.
- After the news of Soleimani’s death, oil prices jumped more than 4% and fuelling fears of a conflict in the crude-rich region.
- Iran Capital: Tehran; Currency of Iran: Rial; President of Iran: Hassan Rouhani.
5. Iran names Esmail Qaani as new Commander
- Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei named the Deputy Head of the Revolutionary Guards’ foreign operations arm Esmail Qaani to replace Qasem Soleimani as its commander.
- Soleimani was killed in a pre-dawn US strike in Baghdad.
- Qaani was one of the most decorated commanders of the Guards during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war.
- Iran Capital: Tehran; Currency of Iran: Rial; President of Iran: Hassan Rouhani.
6. WHO designated 2020 as “Year of Nurse and Midwife”
- In the honour of 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the World Health Organization designated the year 2020 as the “Year of Nurse and Midwife”.
- This year, WHO is to focus on nursing and midwifery in order to achieve Universal Health Coverage.
- The organization is leading the development of “World Nursing Report” that is to be launched in 2020.
- The report is first of its kind. The year is being dedicated to the midwifery as well as WHO is also a partner of The State of the World’s Midwifery Campaign.
- WHO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland, Director general: Tedros Adhanom.
7. United States officially launches “US Space Force”
- United States President Donald Trump has signed the 2020 National Defense Authorization Act.
- With the signing of the act, US has authorised the establishment of US Space Force.
- The US Space Force will become the 6th branch of the armed forces.
- Space Force would become the youngest US military branch, and the first new service since the establishment of the US Air Force back in 1947.
- The Space Force would be part of the Department of the Air Force.
- The launch of the Space Force will be funded by an initial $40m for its first year. It will be led by Air Force General Jay Raymond.
- President of United States:Donald Trump; Capital: Washington, D.C.
1. UPSRTC launched ‘Damini’ helpline service for women
- UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) has launched ˜Damini’ helpline service considering the safety of the women passengers.
- As the extension of ˜Nirbhaya Yojana’ the unique number “81142-77777” has been subscribed for this helpline.
- Using these helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling the helpline number and by using WhatsApp service.
- UP Present CM: Yogi Adityanath, Governor: Anandiben Patel.
2. ‘Lai Haraoba’ ritualistic festival begins in Tripura
- In Tripura, Lai Haraoba, a ritualistic festival observed by Manipuri meitei communities began in Agartala.
- The 5-day long festival is jointly organised by the Department of Information and Cultural Affairs, Government of Tripura, Puthiba Lai Haraoba Committee and Puthiba Welfare & Cultural Society, Agartala.
- Lai Haraoba is celebrated through oral literature, music, dance and rituals.
- A cultural troupe from Manipur has also come to take part in the festival.
- They will be performing various cultural and traditional musical skits including Manipuri martial arts, folk music and folk dances during the festival.
- Capital of Tripura: Agartala.
- CM of Tripura: Biplab Kumar Deb.
- Governor of Tripura: Ramesh Bais.
3. Gujarat CM unveils world’s 2nd tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani unveils world’s 2nd tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the world at Ahmedabad.
- 50 feet tall bronze statue with a weight of 70 thousand kilograms has been unveiled at the Sardardham campus near Vaishnodevi Circle in Ahmedabad.
- The statue of Sardar Patel has also been designed by Padma Bhusan Ram V. Sutar, the same sculptor who had designed the Statue of Unity.
- Gujarat CM: Vijay Rupani; Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat; Capital: Gandhinagar.
4. ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative launched by Maharashtra Govt
- Maharashtra Government has launched a ˜Cyber Safe Women’ initiative under which awareness camps will be held across all the districts of the state regarding cyber safety.
- The initiative will help in educating women about how the web is used by anti-social elements and child predators to commit various types of crimes.
- Maharashtra CM: Uddhav Thackeray; Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari;
1. GOI signed MoU with Flipkart under DAY-NULM scheme
- Government of India signed MoU with Flipkart for selling the products made by women self-help groups under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) on the e-commerce platform.
- Under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), self-help groups consisting of 44 lakh women have been working across the country, a move aimed at making women financially independent.
- Flipkart established: October 2007; Headquarter of Flipkart: Bengaluru.
2. CSC inks pact with Paytm Payments Bank for sale of FASTags
- Common Service Centres (CSC) e-Governance Services India has signed a memorandum of understanding with Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL) for sale of FASTags.
- The agreement will facilitate the sale of PPBL FASTags through the last mile network of 3.6 lakh CSCs, helping realise the government’s vision of cashless and smooth transit at all toll plazas across the country.
- FASTags which work on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology have been made mandatory at toll gates on national highways.
- The FASTag process allows toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it, thus doing away with the need for waiting in queues, saving time and fuel.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Common Service Centres (CSC): Dinesh Tyagi.
- Chairman of Paytm Payments Bank Ltd: Vijay Shekar Sharma.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) & Managing Director (MD) Paytm Payments Bank Ltd: Satish Kumar Gupta.
3. RevFin and PNB MetLife in tie-up to offer life cover
- India’s leading Digital lending startup, RevFin has joined hands with PNB MetLife India Insurance Company to offer protection to the RevFin’s customers by bundling life insurance cover on their loans.
- This insurance covers loans up to Rs. 3 lakh for a period of 3 years.
- The collaboration will help PNB MetLife to reach out to unbanked areas & drive greater financial inclusion in the country by securing the families of the borrowers against loan repayment in case of unfortunate death of the borrower.
- PNB MetLife India founded: 2001.
- PNB MetLife India Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- PNB MetLife India MD & CEO: Ashish Kumar Srivastava.
4. India-Russia to sign MoUs on AK-203 assault rifles
- The Indian Army is to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the procurement of over 7.5 lakh AK-203 assault rifles with Russia.
- The rifles will be manufactured by the Indo-Russian Rifles Private Limited (IRRPL) at Korwa in Uttar Pradesh.
- The facility is being set up between the Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) from the Indian side, and Rosoboron Exports and Kalashnikov on the Russian side.
- The OFB owns 50.5% equity and Russian side holds the remaining 49.5%. The Army has been looking to replace the indigenous INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) rifles in use with a modern rifle.
- President of Russia: Vladimir Putin; Capital: Moscow; Currency: Russian Ruble.
1. V K Yadav to lead Railway Board for 1 more year
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the re-employment of V K Yadav as the Chairman of Railway Board. The appointment has been done for a period of one year.
- He took over as Railway Board Chairman from Ashwani Lohani on January 1, 2019. He has also held the post of General Manager of South Central Railway (SCR).
- He is an electrical engineer and belongs to the 1980 batch of the Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers.
2. Andhra Pradesh Govt. appoints two ‘Disha Special Officers’
- The Andhra Pradesh government-appointed Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Dr Kritika Shukla and Indian Police Service (IPS) official M Deepika, as Special Officers for implementing the Andhra Pradesh Disha Act 2019.
- The Act is intended for speedy trial and faster execution in cases of sexual offences against women in the state.
- To ensure a speedy trial, the state will set up exclusive special courts in all the 13 districts to deal with cases of offences against women and children including rape, acid attacks, stalking, voyeurism, social media harassment of women, sexual harassment and all cases under POCSO Act.
- CM of Andhra Pradesh: YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
- Governor of Andhra Pradesh: Biswa Bhusan Harichandan.
3. Abhinav Kumar gets extension as BSF IG
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the proposal of Ministry of Home Affairs for extending the deputation tenure of IPS Abhinav Kumar, Inspector General, Border Security Force (BSF), up to June 27, 2021, in relaxation of IPS Tenure Policy.
- BSF formed: 1 December 1965; DG BSF: V K Johri.
4. AIIMS’ Prof Suresh Chandra Sharma as first chief of NMC
- The chief of Delhi AIIMS’ ENT head-neck surgery department, Professor Suresh Chandra Sharma, was appointed the chairman of National Medical Commission.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Sharma for a period of three years or till the age of 70 years.
- Rakesh Kumar Vats, the secretary-general in the board of governors of the Medical Council of India (MCI), has been appointed as the secretary of the Commission for the similar term.
5. H.K. Joshi appointed as CMD of Shipping Corporation of India
- Shipping Corporation of India has appointed Harjeet Kaur Joshi as the new Chairperson & Managing Director of the company.
- She will also hold the additional charge of the post of Director (Finance) of the company for a period of 3 months.
- She is a Fellow Member of The Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
6. Ex-CRPF DG Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar appointed as Advisor to J&K LG
- Former Director-General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar has been appointed as Advisor to the Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- With this, the Lieutenant Governor of J&K Union Territory will have three Advisors.
- The other two Advisors: KK Sharma and Farooq Khan were appointed on November 14, 2019.
- Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir: Girish Chandra Murmu
1. Piyuus Jaiswal honoured with Global Bihar Excellence Awards 2019
- Piyuus Jaiswal was awarded the Global Bihar Excellence Award 2019.
- This award was presented by Rajya Sabha MP and Padma Shri Awardee Dr CP Thakur and Bihar Women Commission president Dilmani Devi in Patna to promote women empowerment.
- Piyuus Jaiswal was recently awarded the humanitarian award with the Global Peace Excellence Humanitarian Award 2019 on the occasion of International Human Day.
- The award was given to recognise and felicitated Piyuus Jaiswal’s contribution towards social welfare, women empowerment and introducing new talent in the field of arts and culture.
- Governor of Bihar: Phagu Chauhan, Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar.
2. Swarna Jayanti Fellowships awarded to 14 scientists
- The Union Ministry of Science and Technology have awarded Swarna Jayanti Fellowships to 14 scientists to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
- The fellowship covers all the requirements for performing the research and includes a fellowship of 25 thousand rupees per month.
- A research grant of five lakh rupees for five years is also being provided in addition to their salary.
- Swaran Jayanti Fellowships are awarded to young and brilliant scientists to pursue unfettered research with financial freedom and flexibility.
- Union Minister of Science and Technology: Dr Harsh Vardhan.
3. Indian girl Sucheta Satish wins Global Child Prodigy Award 2020
- A 13-year-old Dubai-based Indian girl Sucheta Satish has won the 100 Global Child Prodigy Award in Delhi.
- She was awarded for singing in most languages during one concert and the longest live singing concert by a child.
- Global Child Prodigy Award is a platform to showcase the talent of children in dance, music, art, writing, acting, modelling, science, sports etc.
- The award is supported by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam International Foundation and Oscar Award-winning music producer AR Rahman among others
4. Aayushi Dholakia becomes Miss Teen International 2019
- Aayushi Dholakia has bagged the title of Miss Teen International 2019.
- She also bagged the titles of Best in National Costume Award and Best in Speech Award.
- Girls from 22 countries participated in the event to win the coveted title. Yessenia Garcia from Paraguay and Anicia Gaothusi from Botswana became the First and second Runners-Up respectively.
- Miss Teen International is the world’s oldest running teen pageant.
- Thu Phan from Vietnam was adjudged Miss Teen Asia, Maria Luisa Piras from Italy bagged the title of Miss Teen Europe, Anicia Gaothusi from Botswana won Miss Teen Africa and Alessandra Santos from Brazil became Miss Teen America at the event.
1. Lawn bowls & Cycling to be included in 3rd Khelo India Games.
- Chief Executive Officer of “Khelo India Games” has announced that “Lawn bowls” and “cycling” will be included in the 3rd edition of Khelo India Games. The two games will be included in the event for the first time. The 3rd edition of the tournament will be held in Guwahati, Assam in January 2020. Athletes from all over the country will be coming to Guwahati for the Khelo India Youth Games.
- Chief Executive Officer of “Khelo India Games”: Avinash Joshi.
2. National Ice Hockey Championship-2020 begins in Leh
- The 5th Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) National Ice Hockey Championship -2020 has begun in Leh, Ladakh.
- The tournament will continue till 7th January in Karzoo Ice Hockey Rink in Leh. Where the Army, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Maharashtra and home team Ladakh are participating for the championship in U-20 boys category.
- In Girls category Ladakh, Maharashtra, Delhi and Chandigarh are playing for the championship. In the inaugural match in Under-20 Boys category between Chandigarh and Haryana.
- President of Ice Hockey Association of India: K. L. Kumar.
3. All-rounder Irfan Pathan retires from all forms of cricket
- Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He last played for India in October 2012. He played 29 Tests, 120 ODIs and 24 T20Is.
- He was part of the victorious Indian team at the 2007 World Twenty20 and was the man-of-the-match in the final against Pakistan.
- He made his debut at the age of 19 in 2003.
4. Saurabh Chaudhary wins gold at 63rd National Shooting C’ship
- Indian shooter Saurabh Chaudhary has won the men’s 10 metres air pistol gold medal at the 63rd National Shooting Championship in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Second-placed Sarabjot Singh of Haryana, while world number two Abhishek Verma settled for bronze in a high-quality final.
- Abhishek and Sarabjot together won the team gold for Haryana. Sarabjot also won the junior men’s gold.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Kamal Nath.
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh: Lal Ji Tandon.
5. K. Srikkanth & Anjum Chopra to get CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth & Anjum Chopra will be conferred with the CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth will be the recipient of 2019’s prestigious CK Nayudu Lifetime Award.
- Former India women’s captain Anjum Chopra is the co-recipient of the lifetime achievement award for the year 2019.
- Srikkanth and Anjum will be conferred with the Lifetime Achievement award by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for their contributions to Indian cricket.
- President of BCCI: Sourav Ganguly.
6. CISF to observe 2020 as ‘year of mobility’
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) will observe 2020 as the ‘year of mobility’ that will have a special focus on the creation of more residential units and implementation of various welfare measures for the troops.
- In the year 2020, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) will aim at creating an infrastructure for their families.
- It will also aim at focusing on sports and physical fitness leveraging modern gadgetry.
- It is essential to equip the forces with modern instruments as the force plays a major role in the security system of the country.
- They guard civil airports, nuclear power stations, mines, thermal power stations in the private domain as well.
- Director-General of CISF: Rajesh Ranjan; CISF established: 1969.
7. Leo Carter becomes 7th cricketer to hit six 6s in an over
- New Zealand˜s batsman Leo Carter has become the seventh batsman in the history of cricket to smash six 6s in an over.
- He achieved the feat in New Zealand’s domestic T20 tournament Super Smash.
- Representing Canterbury, he smashed Knight’s bowler Anton Devcich for six 6s in the 16th over of the innings.
- Other 6 players who have achieved the feat are: Gary Sobers (West Indies), Ravi Shastri (India), Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa), Yuvraj Singh (India), Ross Whiteley (England) and Hazratullah Zazai (Afghanistan).
- When it comes to T20 cricket, Carter is just the fourth batsman to achieve the feat. Yuvraj is the only batsman to have scored six 6s in an international T20I.
8. P Magesh Chandran wins 95th Hastings International Chess title
- India’s P Magesh Chandran wins the title in the 95th edition of the prestigious Hastings International Chess Congress at Hastings in England. France’s Romain Edouard, who was the only player to end the tournament a half-point behind Chandran, took the second spot.
1. 28th World Book Fair to focus on Gandhi as writer
- The annual New Delhi World Book Fair, in its 28th edition, will focus on how Mahatma Gandhi influenced generations of writers through his writings.
- The fair, organised by the National Book Trust (NBT) in association with ITPO, will be inaugurated by Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- The theme for World Book Fair 2020 is ‘Gandhi: The Writers’ Writer.
- Commemorating the 150th birth anniversary of Gandhi, the theme pavilion, inspired by Sabarmati Ashram, uses hand-spun materials as wall-cladding.
- Besides an exclusive exhibition of 500 books on and by Gandhi in different languages, it will also host 30-panel discussions, book launches and performances related to the theme.
2. India’s Malavath Poorna scales Antarctica’s Highest Peak
- Indian mountaineer Malavath Poorna, the youngest girl to have climbed the world’s highest mountain Mt. Everest 5 years ago, accomplished another feat by conquering Mt. Vinson Massif, Antarctica’s highest mountain peak (4,987 mts).
- With this, the 18-year-old becomes the first and youngest tribal woman in the world to set foot on the six tallest mountain peaks across six continents.
- She has already scaled Mt Everest (Asia, 2014), Mt. Kilimanjaro (Africa, 2016), Mt. Elbrus (Europe, 2017), Mt. Aconcagua (South America, 2019), Mt. Cartsnez (Oceania region, 2019), and now Mt. Vinson Massif (Antarctica, 2019).
3. KVIC opens 1st silk processing plant in Gujarat
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) opened its first œPatola Saree silk processing plant at Surendranagar in Gujarat.
- The aim of the plant is to make silk readily available to Patola saree manufacturers to boost its production.
- Patola is the trademark saree of Gujarat.They are highly expensive and were once worn only by royal aristocratic families. With the new plant, the comedown.
- The Patola silk was founded by the Salvi caste (Scheduled) in the states of Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- They moved to Gujarat in the 12th century in order.
- Gujarat CM: Vijay Rupani; Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat; Capital: Gandhinagar.
4. UN declares Malala Yousafzai ‘Most Famous Teenager of The Decade’
- The United Nations has declared Pakistani education activist and Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai as œMost Famous Teenager of The Decade.
- The revelation has been made in its ˜Decade in Review’ report. Malala is working towards children’s rights ever since she was a teenager.
- In recognition of her efforts, she was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 and also become the youngest recipient of the award.
5. Home Minister lays foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk
- Union Home Minister has laid the foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk project.
- The project will be installed at Tughlakabad in the National Capital New Delhi.
- The project aims to make the city most walkable and environment friendly.
- Delhi Cycle Walk will have network of over 220 km.
- This cycle walk will cover abundant forests, dense residential areas and work places in close proximity in the city.
- Union Home Minister: Amit Shah.
1. Nagaland Assembly Speaker Vikho-o Yhoshu passes away
- The Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) leader and Nagaland Assembly Speaker Vikho-o Yhoshu passed away. Yhoshu was elected to the state Assembly thrice from Southern Angami-1 constituency in Kohima district.
- He had won the seat as a candidate of the Naga People’s Front (NPF) in 2008 and 2013 and served as Advisor and Parliamentary Secretary of various departments. He was elected as Speaker of the state Assembly in 2018 assembly election.
- Chief Minister of Nagaland: Neiphiu Rio; Governor: R. N. Ravi.
2. Natyasurya Awardee dramatist Ratna Ojha passed away
- Eminent Assamese dramatist, litterateur and social activist Ratna Ojha passed away.
- He had introduced street plays in Assam in 1971 with his skit ‘Kokaideo’ to revive the theatre movement in the state that was fading with the death of his mentor Phani Sarma.
- For his contribution to the field of theatre, he received the prestigious Natyasurya Award in 2005.
3. Former Karnataka Governor T N Chaturvedi passes away
- Former Governor of Karnataka T N Chaturvedi passed away. He was the 14th Governor of Karnataka from 20022007.
- He also served as of Comptroller and Auditor General of India from 1984 to 1989. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1991.