January 2020 - 19th to 24th
1: WEF begins its 50th Annual Meeting in Davos
- The 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum begins in Davos, Switzerland
- This year 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum theme will be “Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World”.
2: Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya participates at United Nations AIDS Programme in WEF
- Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya participated in the United Nations AIDS (UNAIDS) programme at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland.
- The theme of the programme is “Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health”.
3: India’s 1st Mahatma Gandhi convention centre inaugurated in Niger
- Union External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and President of Niger Mahamadou Issoufou have inaugurated India’s first Mahatma Gandhi convention centre in Niger
- It is the first convention centre established in Africa by India to honour the memory of Mahatma Gandhi
4: Greece’s parliament elects Katerina Sakellaropoulou as its 1st woman president
1: 15th Raising Day celebrated by National Disaster Response Force
- NDRF celebrated its 15th Raising Day on 19th January 2020. The organization plays an important role in Disaster Management and Community awareness for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in the country
- NDRF has conducted 3100 operations and saved over one lakh lives, hence playing a crucial role in Disaster Management and Community awareness for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in the country.
2: ELECRAMA 2020 inaugurated in Noida by Prakash Javadekar
- ELECRAMA 2020 has been inaugurated by the Union Minister for Heavy Industries Prakash Javadekar in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- ELECRAMA is a platform for the Indian industry to be connected with the world in respect of technology, new trends and innovation for the future energy transition
3: PM Narendra Modi, Nepal PM inaugurated Integrated Check-Post (ICP), Biratnagar
- The Integrated Check-Post (ICP) in Biratnagar has been inaugurated at India-Nepal border by PM Narendra Modi and Nepal Prime Minister K.P.Sharma Oli
4: GoI sets up National Startup Advisory Council
- The “National Startup Advisory Council” has been set up by the Government of India to guide the union government to build a strong ecosystem to nurture innovation and start-ups in India
- The council will be chaired by the Commerce Minister
5: Brazilian President J. M. Bolsonaro has been invited as the Chief Guest on India’s 71st Republic Day celebrations
- On the occasion of 71st Republic Day Parade at Raj Path, New Delhi on 26 January, President of Brazil Jair Messias Bolsonaro has been invited as the chief guest
1: Chapchar kut festival to be celebrated in Mizoram on March 6
- The festival is generally celebrated after the completion of the Jhum cultivation, which is also known as the slash and burn agriculture
2: Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju flag off ‘Fit India Cyclothon’
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju flag off ˜Fit India Cyclothon’ in Panaji, Goa
- This inaugural event of ˜Fit India Cyclothon’ organised by Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs and Government of Goa
3: Government of Maharashtra makes the reading of Preamble mandatory in Maharashtra schools
- Maharashtra Government has made the reading of the Preamble of the Constitution mandatory for the Maharashtra schools
- The reading will be done after prayer in all primary and secondary schools in Maharashtra.
4: Uttar Pradesh Government launches Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana
- Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana has been launched by the government of Uttar Pradesh to provide financial assistance to the family of farmers who die or become handicapped while working in fields
5: Uttarakhand becomes 1st state to implement agricultural land leasing policy
- Uttarakhand has become the 1st state in the country where the government has made a policy to lease agricultural land
1: India successfully test-fired K-4 Ballistic Missile from Andhra Pradesh
- The nuclear-capable K-4 ballistic missile has been successfully test-fired by India at Vizag coast in Andhra Pradesh
- The nuclear-capable missile having the range of 3,500-kilometre was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
2: IAF inducts its 1st squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft
- The Indian Air Force has inducted its 1st squadron of Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft
- This aircraft is carrying the BrahMos missiles in the South at its Thanjavur based in Tamil Nadu
3: DAC approves the procurement of about Rs 5100 crore Indigenous Equipment’s
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), headed by Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh has approved the procurement of Indigenous Equipments valued at Rs 5100 crore
- These indigenous equipments have been manufactured by the Indian industry and designed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Army
1: Adani Capital acquires Essel Finance’s MSME lending business
- Essel Finance’s micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) loan business has been acquired by Adani Capital Private Ltd.
- Through the acquisition, Adani Capital has secured a loan book of around Rs 145 crore.
2: Bharti Airtel receives approval from Telecom department to raise FDI in the company to 100%
- The Bharti Airtel Ltd has received the approval from the Telecom department to increase the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the company to 100%
- The approval will enable Bharti Airtel company to raise more funds as per its requirement
3: Zomato acquires Uber Eats business in India
- “Zomato” has announced the acquisition of Uber Eats business in India. Uber Eats is an Uber Technologies Inc’s food delivery business in India. The acquisition was done in an all-stock deal
- The deals provides Uber with the 9.99% ownership in Zomato after the acquisition.
1: Vinesh Phogat shines with gold medal at the Rome Ranking Series
- Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat defeated Ecuador’s Luisa Elizabeth Melendres in the 53 kg category to win the gold medal at the 2020 season of the Rome Ranking Series held in Rome
2: India beat Pakistan to lift Diplomat Cup Cricket Championship
- The team of the Indian Consulate has won the Diplomat Cup Cricket Championship of 2020 held in Sharjah
- The team of the Indian Consulate defeated the Pakistan Consulate to win the trophy
3: Yogeshwar Dutt & Deepa Malik included in All India Council of Sports
- Paralympian Deepa Malik, wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt have been inducted in the All India Council of Sports along with shooter Anjali Bhagwat, footballer Renedy Singh, mountaineer Bachendri Pal and former Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh
4: Shooters Divyansh, Apruvi win gold at Meyton Cup in Austria
5: Maharashtra has topped the medal tally of Khelo India Youth Games 2020
- Maharashtra has topped the medal tally of the 3rd season of the Khelo India Youth Games concluded in Guwahati.
- The state clinched 256 medals including 78 gold while Haryana stood at 2nd position with a total of 200 medals.
1: France to train Indian flight surgeons for ISRO’s Gaganyaan mission
- France will train Indian flight surgeons for the ambitious human space mission Gaganyaan
2: ‘Vyommitra’ a half-humanoid robot has been unveiled by ISRO for Gaganyaan Space Mission
- ‘Vyommitra’ or “friend in the sky” a half-humanoid robot for Gaganyaan Space Mission has been unveiled by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- ISRO has planned to execute two unmanned missions before the Ganganyaan mission.
- Arjun Munda becomes the president of Archery Association of India
- Nripendra Misra appointed as the chairman of NMML by Government of India
- Challa Sreenivasulu Setty appointed managing director of SBI
- New MD and CEOs for Bank of Baroda, Bank of India and Canara Bank
- Canara Bank – Lingam Venkat Prabhakar
- Bank of Baroda- Sanjiv Chadha
- Bank of India- Atanu Kumar Das
Former Indian cricketer Man Mohan Sood passes away
- National Girl Child Day celebrated by India on 24th January: National Girl Child Day celebrated by India every year on 24th January with an aim to focus on the inequalities faced by girls, to promote the education, health & nutrition of the girl child, and to spread awareness about the rights of a girl child
- 4th January celebrated globally as International Day of Education
- Hyderabad Metro starts carpool services in partnership with redBus: Hyderabad Metro Rail Limited starts carpool service for train passengers in partnership with online bus ticketing platform redBus through an app “rPool”.
- Indian airports have started thermal screening of passengers arriving in India from China and Hong Kong, to stop the Corona Virus spread in India.
- RBI stands at 6th position in buying gold abroad in World Gold Council report
- Jharkhand’s Jharia most polluted city in India
- Economist Intelligence Unit released Democracy Index 2019
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released the 12th edition of the “Democracy Index 2019: A year of democratic setbacks and popular protest”.
- Norway topped the Index while North Korea was placed at the bottom of the list. India has been placed at 51st position among 167 countries in the Index and was included in flawed democracy.